Monday, May 16, 2011

MLS Watch

This has been the day I have been waiting for. On May 14th 2011 at 11 PM Eastern Time, ask me what that is Pacific I couldn't tell you I'm really bad with numbers. So I'm sat there in my New York home and I decided watched a MLS game between the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers. I don't ever say this about a Major League Soccer match up but I couldn't take my eyes of it. I know I have a ton of issues with the league which I won't get into. I just did a thesis recently about the ails of American soccer and I really don't feel like regurgitating all 30 odd pages of it but if the rest of the league can duplicate what the Timbers and Sounders showed me the other night I will definitely follow more studiously.
 I have never seen such an atmosphere at any professional sporting event in America. Your Superbowl may have a ton of people in the stadium but apart from the odd boo and cheer their virtually silent. The Sounders fans at their home ground in Qwest Field really had the rafters shaking. They had banners, obscene chants and were raising their voices as well as their feet in unison to try to lift their side to victory. I have to say the Timber Army is my favorite fans in the world. Their loud, they don't care and I think they all carry baby axes on their persons. I can't get over the atmosphere the place. Sure they was a game going on for those who cared but I just sat there listen to every can't and cry. Even if I didn't have a T,V I would be more than satisfied with an 8-bit radio if there was such a thing. For the overall play, it was a bit downgraded because of the weather but the players really fought hard. I'm super impressed with Jack Jewsbury and Kenny Cooper on the Portland side of things both huge men who were really taking to the Sounders and I think Fernandez the Uruguayan really shone of the Sounders. That is enough from me just watch the highlights if you can. You won't be disappointed I promise. 


Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers (Qwest Field)


       

No comments: