Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sleeping Dragons

Count yourself lucky! Not just because I am here with some more soccer knowledge or the fact I've brought back one of my older series. Both very good reasons of course, rather celebrate the fact that I just remembered the password to get into the website. I literally spent an hour trying to figure out what the safe word was. Am I a little ashamed? Yes it's been too long since I've jotted down my thoughts onto the blog but in my defense I have had a lot of ideas floating around in my head. Which is a good thing but sometimes going back to old thoughts can help you come up with something spectacular and that's what I am aiming for here. One of my first series on the blog was entitled “Sleeping Dragons." I was just trying the whole cheesy reptile theme hence the name. Titles aside, I knew I wanted a series that would highlight players who had considerable talent but for whatever reason wouldn't exhibit it, an underachiever almost. You know, the type of player that you look at and say he is way better than this. For months, years even I have wanted to return to this segment but distractions, laziness and to my shame my own wandering mind would not allow me to do so. Now that I am in the mood I have to take a crack at it...I bring to you the latest installment of "Sleeping Dragons."

Name: Éver Maximiliano David Banega

D/O/B: 05/29/1988

Place of Birth: Rosario, Argentina

Position: Central Midfielder

Height: 5'9ft

National Team: Argentina

National Team Debut: Argentina vs Guatemala (Feb.6 2008)

Club Team(s): Boca Juniors 2007-2008, Valencia C.F 2008-present*, Atletico Madrid 2008-09 (loan), Newell's Old Boys 2014*

As I like to do is lay some facts down before I get to the opinions so let me get that out of the way. Éver Banega was born in the Santa Fe province's largest city, Rosario on June 29th 1988. His football odyssey began at little known Nuevo Horizonte before joining the ranks at Alianza Sport. Both destinations purely stepping stones for what was to come. The earliest mention of Banega I could dig up, came in 2006 when he was recruited by famed club Boca Juniors. There he impressed in the youth set up waltzing through the junior squads and by age 18 he found himself in the senior team. After a successful campaign in the 2006-07 season with the Argentine side Banega earned a €20 million move to Spanish side Valencia in 2008.
  Looking to blood their new acquisition Valencia decided to farm out the Argentinian to fellow La Liga outfit Atlético Madrid that same year. While in the Spanish capital Banega hit the pitch 24 times for red and white half of Madrid with real gusto. Banega’s time at Atletico was great, thus validating  Valencia’s purchase. 
 The following season the midfielder returned to Valencia where he was until very recently been a linchpin. Banega has appeared to date over 100 times for club, he has scored a few goals, was the side’s captain and was instrumental in getting the club into the UEFA Champions League. Feats that many players wished they had achieved but misfortune has also plagued the playmaker. 
 February 2012 saw Banega sidelined due to a freak injury where his own car damage his ankle, tibia, fibula and knee. This episode took a toll on Banega and his recovery was lengthy. Fast forward to January of 2014 we see him playing back in Argentina for Newell’s Old Boys,Valencia decided to loan out player  until the end of the season and all reports such that he is performing well.
 From an early age Argentina knew what a talent Banega was. He was apart of the U-20 and U-23s Argentine sides in the past. The transition from youth team to the full national side was relatively easy for him. The midfield man made his international debut on February 6th 2008 in a friendly against CONCACAF light weights Guatemala. When available and fit Banega has been apart of the national team set up and as I write according to reports, he has been named to provisional 30-man Argentine squad for the World Cup in Brazil in 2014, so he has one foot in the door. It remains to be seen if he will make the final cut but being named to the 30 is a real feat considering the amount of talent available to coach Alejandro Sabella and the player’s troubles.
 In my mind there is no doubt that over Banega is a super talent and there will be some significant success in his career as he continues to chug along but I can’t just wonder if loan moves to like the one he is on at Argentina serves him any good. I use to be an European football snob before my eyes were open to Major League Soccer and to the Latin American football leagues and if you had to pick a league outside Europe to follow the Argentine Primera Division will not disappoint. It’s wonderful. River Plate, Boca Juniors, Velez Sarsfield and Banega’s Newell’s Old Boys are dreams but they don’t play in Europe’s elite competitions. I don’t have to stand long on the topic because it’s a fact. Europe has the best leagues in the world with the best players and Éver Banega at this very moment is not playing there. I don’t know why he was loaned out, it could be personal. It could be for footballing reasons as I said I don’t know  I could dig deeper but what would be the point...he is there now and that is that. I personally think the move is a step back and I hope the loan move isn’t permanent. As I scribble down these thoughts down he is nearing the wrong side to his 20’s and physically not to be cliche but it will only go down hill from here. Banega has been unlucky with injuries and the few he as had would set anybody back. As a player he is solid, a good defender, a great passer and finishes well in front of goal. I just hope that he will have a long career in Europe and not decide like another Argentine player maker, Juan Roman Riquelme to stay home at play.
 I think this is the kindest “Sleeping Dragons,” article I have ever wrote. A lot less harsh than the ones about Miguel Veloso and Ricardo Quaresma. Maybe because I am getting older or I am becoming a more balance writer. Let’s hope for the latter. Éver Banega is a fine player who just needs a bit of luck and a prolonged period of good health. That last statement alone just proves that I am getting older I’m starting to sound like my uncle.

No comments: