Monday, May 23, 2016

Quick View

If you are an ardent fan of my work and have followed me throughout the years you would've known
I was all in for a "reptilian theme." Heck! I even named my own website Green Lizard. Over the years however I've scaled back (great pun) from doing that sort of thing. I don't think I'm going to change the name of the site simply because I am a bit of a softy...I don't want to change my core and origins. That being said, I am becoming a littler older and some maturity is starting to set it in. I am throwing away childish things. I know longer sit on my Xbox for 10 hours a day I'm down to a respectable 7.5 and with that extra two hours or so I've really started a healthy appreciation for more adult activities. For example, laundry! Which I find to be very therapeutic. Now I'm a master of washing soft Moroccan linens! This segment "Quick View," is replacing by "Random Bite," series. It is a nod to my evolution and maturity and with that its creeping into my writing. A lot of soccer players don't show their absolute best in the autumns and winters of their careers and this post is about a guy who bucks that trend and who has been lighting up in La Liga with his play last season and I couldn't remain silent anymore, I had to at least try to push out a tentative article about this seasoned vet.
 Basque forward Aritz Aduriz scored an impressive 20 goals in 34 appearances in La Liga last term finishing 7th on the scoring charts. Only bested by the usual suspects in the forms of Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Karim Benzema, Neymar and a one Antoine Greizmann. Suarez scored 40 goals in campaign which is a dizzying feat but he does play for Barcelona.His compatriots Messi and Neymar chipped in with 26 and 24 goals alongside him respectively. Thirdly Luis Suarez isn't 35 he is a more lubricated 29 to date.So when you go down the tale of the tape for the Uruguayan that makes what Aduriz has done even more remarkable and  I'm not alone in my estimation, others do feel the same. I was tuned into one of my favorite late night football shows the other night and one of the pundits on view said Aduriz is the only center forward he knows that scores more goals when he turned 30 than anyone else. I don't know if that was true or if it was off the cuff but what I will say is the dexterity and durability of this 35 year-old is refreshing. My views of Athletic Bilbao and Aduriz's are limited! To the point I don't think I'm really qualified to speak on him but I believe in numbers and stats and this guy's are through the roof. Especially with stints with his hometown club Bilbao. People like to credit the Serie A with prolonging the careers of older players, just take a look at the likes of Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti. The Totti angle I particularly like because like Aduriz he has been awarded by his side a contract extension at the end of this past season. Unlike Totti however he has somehow added to his game at such an advanced age and it is a marvelous thing to see.
 Aduriz started his career with Athletic Bilbao and found his way to Mallorca as well as Valencia but it's his second go around of Bilbao that started back in 2012 we have to really take ponderous look at. The guy has logged so far 68 goals in 132 appearances to date and we are talking about a 30 plus year old here. These performances has forced the hand of Vincente del Bosque, the Spanish national team coach. The Euros are here and Aduriz has booked his own ticket on the plane. This isn't a joke, Aduriz was selected above a Fernando Torres who has had a great year for Atletico Madrid and Diego Costa who despite being a controversial figure is a super footballer when focused. I look forward to seeing the Basque in France no matter what capacity he plays.    

No comments: