Wednesday, June 9, 2010

World Cup Wildes

In life we have to make extremely hard decisions. When I was nine I had to choose between the a bar of chocolate are a bag of popcorn. When I was fifth-teen I had to choose between the very loose but not so pretty girl who want to do bad things to me and an angelic, pompous bitch who wanted nothing to do with me. I chose the latter and looking back at it now I was right she still didn't want anything to do with me but the more friendly less attractive girl has had three kids by the time she hit 22. Decisions shape our lives. I have made quite a few in my life so far but known with the magnitude and implications as the one I have made a few moments ago prior to this post. My mom sent me to the store. I had a list, it was long and beyond my comprehension and to complicate things further I was given a paltry war chest a mere ten American dollars at my disposal. Upon entering this place of commerce and barter I stumbled across an item that was embolden on my list. Simple? I think not. For a paradox arose, that said item was foil paper but they had so much options my mind did mental gymnastics. Should I purchase the Heavy Duty 55sq.ft version who has served my family's empire so well or should I buy the 75sq.ft version whose valued had be truncated. I was lost, unsure what to do I decided to call mother. Then I realized I left my trusty steed my Iphone at home. I had to man up, I was without my mother's infinite household wisdom and my Iphone's ability to rate bargains with it's numerous applications. A decision had to be made and by the grace of Allah, Vishnu, God, Yahweh and thee Ancestors I chose my fate. What is it I shall never reveal. Well my mom knows but that was fairly difficult. What is straightforward for me is football and even more so is the final group at the World Cup. Even a child knows who is going to come first and last.

Group H
Chile
Honduras
Spain
Switzerland

Chile


Salas! If you remember him you definitely know about football. He at one point was one of the best players on the planet. I will forgive you for not knowing that Chile is now going to their 7th World Cup. It didn't shock me but Chile is not a team I have ever really had the oppurtunity to see on a regular basis. Matter of fact the last Chilean national team performance I actually sat and watched was at the youth level in a U-21 game against Austria in 2007.What is disturbing to me is that in order to get to this World Cup, Chile qualified 2nd one point behind Brazil. For a team that I hardly ever see they seem by all reports to be a very handy unit. To qualify before Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay is Herculean. Again I have to apologize because I really don't know as much as I should about the Chileans. I know some of their key men and those I do know they play so sparingly I hardly see them. Men like former Liverpool winger Mark Gonzalez. Ironically he will be going back home to South Africa, he being born there. Another Chilean mystery man to me is Arturo Vidal of Bayer Leverkusen. He comes with extremely high reviews with his defensive play. To finish behind Brazil in South America they must have some pretty talented lads.

Key Man- Mark Gonzalez: The now CSKA Moscow man has to be the most important out of madman Bielsa's troops and he will have to crush the Swiss and the Hondurans if his nation is to advance because I see him hard press to get pass Barcelona and Spanish duo of Pique and Puyol.

Honduras


HONDURAS, HONDURAS, HONDURAS!!!!!!!!!!!!I am very proud of Honduras and what they have achieved for one and also the calibre of player they are producing. I fully support all Concacaf nations and Honduras have my full support and I hope they enjoy their second World Cup they were the 3rd team out of the Concacaf Hex finishing before a flagging Costa Rica. The Hondurans are arguably the weakest team out of the four in this group and an injury to a key cog like Wilson Palacios will see them not be able to mount a serious attack but fear not they still have their deadliest weapon David Suazo AKA The Black Panther. The Former Inter Milan man will be the spear head of their attack. He exploits very little space and and his stint at Genoa saw him deployed alone up front with great effect. So may hope spring eternal for the Central Americans. For so long they have watched Costa Rica and the monster who is Mexico blow them by. I hope they have a great summer but to be honest I know they can't do much.

Key Man-David Suazo: He is very underrated and he is on a very underrated team. He needs to strike early and hope his team mates can stop the opposition.

Spain


The reigning European champions. They are it has to be said the most feared team on the planet right now. Like the Brazilians I really don't have to dive to deep and explain a whole lot here. They breeze through qualifying, smashed everyone in their path and pretty much have one of the best teams on paper. Names like Fernando Torres, David Silva, Xavi and Carles Puyol has to be at this point household names the world over. They are dangerous and to me have thee best striker in the game today if not the greatest of all time David Villa. I actually think he may set a new record this summer in terms of the most goals scored at a World Cup. Spain really doesn't have any weaknesses. A few years back we were saying that the Spanish were the great underachievers who couldn't win a tournament and now we say they are unbeatable. Now people say they will win this World Cup but I have a theory. It's great and awesome you can beat Europe's elite but I'm looking for a team outside of Europe to trump their victory lap. Europeans know how each other play, they have first hand seats at each others games but the teams from other zones are a mystery, like for example Mexico. One can watch a tape but its another thing to play them regularly. A team like Ghana is hardly ever seen by European eyes. Yes their players play in Europe's top leagues but the whole Ghana team ever performs as a unit in front of Europeans. Spain will do well but I just can't see it, I can not see them winning it all for some odd reason. I think they are stronger teams namely Brazil and teams who are just to ravenous like Argentina.

Key Man- David Villa: I think he will break records this term.

Switzerland
I absolutely adore the Swiss. Love them, love them, love them. If you are observant you would even had notice in my picture posted on the blog I am in a Swiss jersey. A one Mr. Alexander Frei No. 9. The Swiss are very strong in almost every position and do have some steel about them. In their qualification for South Africa they topped a group that included Israel and Greece. So they are definitely no bums. Even better for the Swiss is that they have secured the services of a real tactician in Ottmar Hitzfeld the former Bayern Munich coach, a man with vast experience. Looking at their squad we see a mix of veterans and starlets. Experience campaigners like Alexander Frei, Hakan Yakin and Ludovic Magnin while line up alongside youngsters like Reto Ziegler, Tranquillo Barnetta and Eren Derdiyok. With all this talnet you would think the Swiss would have an easy ride finishing behind the Spanish but the Swiss have an air of frailty about them and a sometimes shaky defense which is worrying because the others in the group boast a very varied attacking options that can hurt the alpine nation. I hope my beloved Swiss don't fold or we may have to bring in the Red Cross.

Key Man- Tranquillo Barnetta: So underrated, has to be one of the premier wingers in the world and can give an edge to the aging Swiss front line.

Predicitions- Sorry Guys I didn't give the predictions for Group G. It is as follows. Brazil 1st, Portugal 2nd, Ivory Coast 3rd, North Korea 4th. No surprises there. Now to Group H. Spain 1st, Switzerland 2nd, Chile 3rd, Honduras 4th. Spain has to win this group. The Swiss maybe wobbly in defense but can hold out against the basically one man attacks of Honduras and Chile. Chile maybe the 2nd qualifier in South America but they will fall to the Europeans. Although Honduras' David Suazo maybe a beast, he is no god though and to be frank who will give the ball to allow him to work his magic?

No comments: