Tuesday, June 10, 2014

World Cup Brazil 2014

Group G aka the “Group of Death.” Or so they are calling it. Am I calling it that? I don’t think so. In sports being dramatic is often celebrated. Yes this group in the 2014 World Cup is competitive and it does have some marquee teams but is it really a “Group of Death?’ I can basically see only two teams even really getting out of the group anyway and by some margin. I just filled out a World Cup fantasy football bracket and I can tell you it didn’t take more than a minute and a half to complete it. A minute and a half and not a minute because I was drinking some water at the same time. I know sports are played to prove if really good teams are actually good but the culture of the underdog is so strong not just in one or two countries but worldwide. It always hypes up an occasion. I’m not saying inferior teams in what ever sport should not even bother to compete, I’m just saying 9 times out of 10 they will get the hammer and I know in this Group G there will be no surprises. Now that I have spouted off what I think could be sense let’s check out the group.


Group G
Germany
Ghana
Portugal
USA


Germany









If you read my last post and I hope you did, you would know that I picked Argentina to win this year’s World Cup. As I said in my little introduction that’s just above this scribble that I had completed a World Cup bracket. In the bracket you basically pick the group winners then who beats who in the later rounds and this goes on all the way to the finals. Well I’ve done that and I have gone with a bold prediction that sees Argentina beating Germany in the final. I’m going to make this as short as possible because when it comes to Germany dramatics are not the norm. Plus when describing one of the game’s superpowers less is more. Germany won their place in Brazil by advancing from UEFA’s Group C. Taking out Sweden, Austria, Republic of Ireland, Kazakhstan and the Faroe Islands. This will be the Germans 18th World Cup and their on the hunt for their fourth title. The first of which came in 1954 when the tournament was held in Switzerland. It’s been a while since the Germans hoisted the cup. Last time was in 1990 in Italy, so the Germans are desperate to bring home the crown. The word in Berlin is that now German coach Joachim Löw maybe under pressure if doesn’t produce the goods. The fact of the matter is he has been in charge of the German national side for a while now. He succeeded now United States coach Jürgen Klinsman and that was in 2006. So that means Löw has overseen two Euros and one World Cup so far and Germany has nothing to show for it. Simply this has to be it for Löw. A setback for him is absence of midfield man Marco Reus. Other than that the German looks solid as usual. Familiar names like Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philipp Lahm and Manuel Neuer will be in Brazil. While relative newcomers like Mats Hummels, Mario Götze and André Schürrle will add quality to an already stacked squad. What can I say, the Germans are the real deal. A team that will definitely power it’s way through this World Cup.

Key Man- A player who seems to do better for club than country, Mesut Özil will look to gas up Germany with his silky play. For me one of the best players on the planet.

Ghana









Ghana has to be the most well rounded of African sides at this summer’s tourney. The Ghanaians will be looking to a make it out of this tough group but before I break down what they have to do let’s see how they got to Brazil. Ghana made it to the Wold Cup when advanced out of group play to face Egypt in African qualifying. The Ghanaians destroyed the Egyptians 7-2 on aggregate thus clinching a World Cup birth. This will be Ghana’s third consecutive World Cup and there will look to improve on their quarterfinal finish four years ago in South Africa where they came up short against Uruguay. The Ghanaians have gone local in the coaching department. James Appiah was promoted from the country’s U-23 side to coach the full national team in 2012 he will look to push Ghana onto the next level. The main men for the “Black Stars,” are Kevin Prince Boateng, Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari and the Ayew boys Jordan and Andre while captain Asamoah Gyan is likely to be the main goal threat. For Ghana to get out of this group they are going to have to pick their moments. They have defend well because each one of their opponents have one or two guys that are deadly in front of goal. Lastly they have to make sure Gyan, Boateng and Andre Ayew see a lot of the ball. If they can stick to that they could do well. It is a tough group but given the various sub plots swirling around there is no reason why Ghana can’t capitalize.

Key Man- Kevin Prince Boateng is Ghana’s best player. I am big fan of his work and I love his energy. He is a smarter footballer than people think.

Portugal
  








Mine and Portugal’s greatest concern right now is the health of Cristiano Ronaldo coming into this tournament. It is reported that he Portuguese forward has tendinitis and is in a race to be fit for their group opener against Germany. I don’t know if Portugal can win the World Cup but if they do they have to do it with Ronaldo. If he is not around I don’t even fancy Portugal to get out of the group. I haven't seen a national side so bumbling without one man than Portugal without Ronaldo. I had the pleasure of watching Mexico vs Portugal in a friendly match in just prior to the World Cup. Mexico as they usually knock the ball around nicely and had Portugal looking a bit silly but in the end a Bruno Alves header in extra time won the game for the Portuguese. Mexico should had one the game and if not for brilliance of goalkeeper Eduardo the Portuguese would had easily fell to a loss. Portugal’s build up play didn’t look horrible but  it was aimless at times. With Ronaldo on the pitch the Iberians at least have a plan as simple as it is. Just get him the ball, it’s very effective. Ask Israel, Northern Ireland, Azerbaijan and Luxembourg. They all fell to the Portuguese in World Cup qualification. Despite that Portugal actually finished second in the group behind Russia. So they had to reach the tournament via the play off route. In a hotly contested series with Sweden the Portuguese game out on top 4-2 on aggregate due to last minute drama by you know who, Mr. Ronaldo to send Portugal to the World Cup. Surprisingly this is Portugal’s sixth World Cup. The Europeans best ever finish came in1966 when they earned a third place. This time around Portugal is led by Paulo Bento who has chosen a fairly experience squad. To me it doesn’t matter who he picks, one thing is clear is that who ever he fields they have to support Ronaldo. I’m not a fan of Hugo Almeida or Helder Postiga. For they have never really produced for me. The Portuguese can win this thing but it all depends on Cristiano Ronaldo. Will he be 100%? Or will he get the help he needs? We will wait and see.

Key Man- I’ve said his name like a million times already. Cristiano Ronaldo has to be in complete control. As we have seen in recent times he is an awesome teammate but can his teammates be awesome to him?        

United States









The United States got to Brazil thanks to coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s crafty navigation of CONCACAF’s Hexagonal. The Americans topped the “Hex,” finishing above Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Mexico. The big story lines for the United States are the fact they are in such a difficult group and the fact they will have to face it without the country’s leading goalscorer Landon Donovan, following his omission from the squad. The USA are a good team. I think I have seen every one of their matches over the past 6 years. I live here. I know them. I know what they can do. That being said this group is too much for them. It is unfortunate that the work they have put in, in recent times will count for nought. I just can’t believe that this US squad can overturn former World Cup winners Germany. Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal and a rampant Ghana. Secondly, I don’t think Landon Donovan would have saved the United States in this situation but he definitely would  had helped. He is a senior player. The nation’s all time leading goalscorer and most of all a player the team respects and adores him. I’m a big believer in team chemistry and as much as the likes of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard may want to down play it I feel they would have loved to have Donovan by their side for one last time at a World Cup. The form of Jozy Altidore is not good. Until recently he hadn’t scored a goal like in a year. I just don’t get how America and Klinsmann can spearhead an attack with a man in such a rut. I give Klinsmann credit for poaching Aron Jóhansson from Iceland and stealing away Mix Diskerud from Norway but I don’t think these two will play major roles at this tournament. I heard some say this squad assembled for this World Cup is just here to learn but that baffles me. How do you work so hard and invest so much into a coach and his philosophy just to learn from an experience. As I said before there is a ton of sub plots at this World Cup and this group has plenty. So maybe the United States can use them to jettison into out of the group.

Key Man- Clint Dempsey is a player in form. Since he has returned to Major League Soccer he has been an unstoppable attacking force. In a group with wonderful attacking players, America will need some one to bang them in to keep up with the pace. Clint might be that guy.

Predictions- I can see Germany being the outright winner of the group that much is clear to me but who advances along with them? Portugal depends too much on Ronaldo and if he isn’t firing there will be a problem. Ghana is good but can they overpower the rest in the group? While the United States has no pressure on them really because no one expects them to get out the group. This can lead to the States playing with a freedom. If I had call it I would have to say Germany 1st, Portugal 2nd, Ghana 3rd and USA 4th. 

Germany



No comments: