Saturday, June 7, 2014

World Cup Brazil 2014

The other day while I was at work I had the pleasure of running into a young man from Brazil. We talked for a bit and for me it was an interesting conversation. He went on and on about basketball and he told me his favorite players and he even told how Brazil beat Team USA years ago in basketball to win a championship. I was impressed. He rattled off names like Nenê, Anderson Varejão and Tiago Splitter. His knowledge of basketball was surprising. Surprising...because I stereotyped him. Why would a Brazilian know anything about basketball? I asked myself but he knew his stuff. I was curious I had to ask what he thought about the World Cup? He said. “I hate it.” I was shocked I said why? He said that this World Cup is not for the people in Brazil. He followed by saying if it were local kids playing the game he was all for it but for these big names and companies he couldn’t get on board. He added that the World Cup is taking the people’s money and that he would rather the government there put the money to better use. I think he is absolutely right. I think FIFA has only considered the game and has disregarded what effect it would have on the populous. They overestimated Brazilians love for the game and now the situation is getting out of hand. I am not an economist or a social commentator but I know when something is looking a little shaky and this is. Hopefully for us neutrals we can have a World Cup that is full of great moments and for Brazilians I pray they can get what they want. Not a great way to segue into a group preview but sometimes seriousness is the order of the day.

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria



Argentina









Where do we start with Argentina? Home of arguably the best player on the planet...Lionel Messi. Home of one of the greatest players of all time Diego Maradona. Two time  Copa America and World Cup winners. Home of some quality bistros as well. Seems like the South American nation has it all but does she have what it takes to win it all? Argentina qualified for this World Cup by topping CONMEBOL finishing with 32 points, two points clear of Colombia and four points beyond a hot Chile. Leading the Argentines this summer will be Alejandro Sabella and the 59 year old has oodles of talent at his disposal. Up front he can count on the magical Lionel Messi, Sergio Agüero and Ezequiel Lavezzi. While in midfield he has the likes of Ángel di María, Fernando Gago and Javier Mascherano at his service. The defense will feature the Manchester City duo Pablo Zabaleta and Martín Demichelis while in goal it looks like Sergio Romero. I am going to go on record and say that Argentina is my pick to win the World Cup. Simply because Mr. Messi has had a barren year. He didn’t win any thing last season so I have to think he will be extra motivated. I think his anemic performances for the national side will be put to bed this summer. Argentina for the chip!

Key Man- Lionel Messi. Do I really have to write a following sentence?

Bosnia-Herzegovina









The football legacy that Yugoslavia has left behind is absolutely stunning. Here I sit giving all the glory and pomp to yet another country that has risen out of the old empire. Bosnia-Herzegovina like Croatia, like Serbia and like Montenegro are promising footballing nations that are giving the established order in Europe a run for their money. Croatia and Bosnia are off to this summer’s tournament and the latter will be going to the World Cup for the first time and they aren’t here to just make a number. Bosnia made it to the championship when they advanced out of UEFA’s Group G. A group that featured Slovakia, Greece, Latvia, Lichtenstein and Lithuania. The Balkans topped the group purely on goal difference with Greece dropping down to second. Bosnia are coached by Safet Susic, a coach who believes in attacking and he will set up his side out to fire in some goals no doubt. Men like Edin Dzeko, Miralem Pjanic, Zvjezdan Misimovic and Vedad Ibisevic will be doing the firing. While in the back goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and defender Emir Spahic will look to shepherd the back line along the way. Bosnia find themselves in a light group and should advance. The Argentines will get by them but I don’t expect Iran and Nigeria to. Bosnia with their firepower will  upset a few.

Key Man- Edin Dzeko is a tall, slick and most of all unforgiving striker. He has been in the goals for the past few seasons and I see him netting a bunch for Bosnia this summer.

Iran
        








If I’m honest my knowledge about Iran as a football team isn’t that great and I definitely have to cast an eye over them in the near future. That’s what I like about the World Cup it forces me to be a bit of a scholar because normally I wouldn’t be talking about Iran. The last thing I wrote about Iran came in the form of an editorial piece and that was a few years ago. It was kind of uncomplimentary to the Iranians. I made suggestions on what countries in that part of the world needed to do to become more successful. Now, I’m not taking any credit for Iran’s success but I do want to believe my article on this blog helped them to get where they are today...probably not but since my story the Iranians have really pushed the envelop. Iran made it to Brazil by coming out of the AFC’s Group A. Where they topped a group that had South Korea, Lebanon, Qatar and Uzbekistan. Iran aren’t mugs and this isn’t there first World Cup either having qualifying for the tournament three times before. The nation are also three time Asian Cup winners and are usually at the front of the queue when it comes to lifting the trophy along with Japan and South Korea. Some of the men in the Iranian squad at this World Cup are skilled midfielders Javad Nekounam and Ashkan Dejagah. Iran can also rely on the man who I think has the coolest name at the tournament forward Reza Ghoochannejhad aka “Gucci.” Iran should take a lot of good from this World Cup and with a favorable group I can see them getting at least one decent result

Key Man- Javad Nekounam has been playing in Spain for a number of years and though it maybe with Osasuna, Iran will welcome it. At 33 years old it’s a wonder if he still has the legs. What he does have is the passing ability and that will be on show for sure.

Nigeria
     








I always feel that Nigeria is at the World Cup but remarkably this is only the fourth tournament.The Nigerians got to Brazil by winning Group F in the second round of African qualifying where they bested Malawi, Kenya and Namibia. In the third round Nigeria defeated Ethiopia in a two legged playoff advancing 4-1 on aggregate. The Nigerians are coached by former player Stephen Keshi. Keshi has picked a strong side to vie for the cup. A lot of European based players are in his squad. Players like the excellent goalkeeper Victor Enyeama. Chelsea’s John Obi Mikel and Liverpool’s Victor Moses. How far can they go is the issue. I think it will be Nigeria and Bosnia-Herzegovina battling it out for the second spot. The Nigerian players do have the big game experience that Bosnia does not have yet so they might be able to advance out of the group.

Key Man- Not a very stylish pick but he is a man I know. John Obi Mikel is a patient player who can quietly affect a game in a positive way. Mikel is vastly underrated.

Predictions- I have Argentina coming out on top with Bosnia finishing second. Nigeria will fill that third spot and Iran will round out the group. As I said before I expect Argentina to win the World Cup I have a funny feeling about them. Bosnia can easily outscore their opposition. Nigeria have talent but will they be able to be consistent at both ends of the field at the same time? As for Iran, I don’t think they have the personnel to cope with the sides they will face.  

Argentina


     

No comments: