Thursday, June 5, 2014

World Cup Brazil 2014

As I reach the half way point of my World Cup preview I have to say how much fun I have been having. When I started this blog I wanted to more than anything have fun. I wanted to have my own space so I could put all my thoughts into a tangible place. As time progressed the website became more than a pet project and I actually found that I got a little buzz from a few established media outlets. Although some of my ventures didn’t work out I was still chuffed by the fact that me a guy who just wanted to share his thoughts about a little football got the notice from serious employers. That says something. I guess the theme of this introduction is fun and hard work. It’s no doubt that hard work is reason that all the teams at this World Cup are here but I want to believe that fun was with them along the way.  Now some teams at this tournament will not find it so fun getting picked apart by superior opposition and the knockout rounds won’t be enjoyable for those shown the door but the experience of just being there must be euphoric. In all progression is what I'm eluding to in my little speech and that is what all 32 teams at the World Cup are looking for.

Group E
Ecuador
France
Honduras
Switzerland


Ecuador
  







Probably the weakest of South American nations at the tournament Ecuador will look to surprise a few sides as they look to advance. This will be Ecuador’s third World Cup appearance and the men from Quito will look to better on their Round of 16 finish in Germany eight years ago. Ecuador’s World Cup birth was sealed when they came fourth in CONMEBOL assuring that they would qualify automatically. The South Americans are coached by Colombian Reinaldo Rueda who took the job after he guided interestingly enough Honduras to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Rueda has a bunch of players playing in Mexico’s Liga MX, seven to be exact at his service. The rest are made up of home based players most of which come from local sides Emelec and Barcelona. The two names worth mentioning in Rueda’s squad is the powerhouse striker Felipe Caicedo who played for Manchester City and Sporting Lisboa and Manchester United’s Antonio Valencia. The latter and team captain has really shouldered most of the burden for the Ecuadorians in terms of chances created over the years. A fact that lends to my uncomplimentary opinions on Ecuador.  Watching Ecuador is like watching pigeons eating bread...very boring I think they are very basic. There is nothing special about them and I would rather much prefer to see Paraguay playing this summer. I really do try to watch their games but I just end up leaving around the 60th minute. As for their prospects at the World Cup I certainly don’t rate them very highly. If they get out of Group D that would come as a shock to me.

Key Man- Of course it’s Antonio Valencia. Currently the only Ecuadorian playing in Europe he is vital to Rueda’s squad.

France









A friend of mine had an interesting theory about the French national team that I want to share. He said since 1998 the French either do great at a World Cup or tank. In 1998 France hosted the World Cup and won the World Cup. Four yours on in Asia when Japan and South Korea hosted the tournament the French were embarrassed and failed to make it out of the group stage. At the next World Cup this time in Germany the French bounced back amazingly by reaching the final only to be beaten by eventual winners Italy. Then finally at the last World Cup in South Africa the French crashed out in the group stage yet again. What made matters worse was the well documented mutiny of some of the French players in South Africa.  Interesting theory I think my friend maybe onto something and if his observation is spot on the French should be due a good one. All theories aside, it has to be said that the French have worked extremely hard to rectify the shame they faced in Africa. The mutiny by seniors on the French side will forever be a shame on the national team. Four years on from the debacle, France have retooled and found a new unity under coach Didier Deschamps. Deschamps guided France to her 14th World Cup by navigating through UEFA’s Group I. The French had to do battle with Spain, Finland, Georgia and Belarus. As to be expected had the true tussle  came with Spain for dominance of the group with the Spanish coming out on top in the end. This meant France had to play a two legged play off with the Ukraine and let’s just say the French made it hard for themselves. In Kiev the French were blanked 2-0 by a Ukrainian side who were hot after co-hosting Euro 2012. With all the drama attached France rallied a little late to record a 3-0 win thus booking their passage to Brazil. The French will be looking for their only second World Cup crown and Didier Deschamps has picked strong side to challenge. Deschamps have gone for the likes of Hugo Lloris, Raphaël Varane,  Yohan Cabaye, Franck Ribéry, Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba and Karim Benzema in his squad. I fully expect France to run away with this group. Winning the World Cup is another matter. Don’t think the French will win the cup but I do think they will have a good tournament. Where they end up remains to be seen.

Key Man- When I say Paul Pogba is literally everywhere. I mean he is literally everywhere. I did a preview of him in my Generation 90 series and I raved about him. I ask how Manchester United could had ever let him go. Reports from the French camp are saying Franck Ribéry is ailing due to back injuries. If he was fit he would had been the key for France but he isn’t 100%. So I am picking Pogba to drive France forward.

Honduras








I am trying to figure out who is the worse team at the World Cup. I’ve narrowed it down to three. Australia, Costa Rica and finally Honduras. I am not going to lie here. Honduras are remarkably outclassed. The only thing that saves Costa Rica is their great qualifying campaign and having a legitimate star in Bryan Ruiz. The Aussies are not that good but they have a toughness to them which counts for a lot in tournament situations like this. Honduras basically has nothing. They had an okay qualifying campaign and their best players are not world beaters but they are here and need to prove appoint. The Hondurans got to Brazil by advancing to CONCACAF’s Hexagonal from Group C in the second round. The Hondurans topped the group above Canada, Cuba and Panama to get to the Hexagonal. While there the Central Americans finished third behind Costa Rica and the United States to qualify automatically for the tourney. This will be a third World Cup for Honduras the first of which came in 1982 in Spain. The Hondurans have never moved beyond group play a fact that their coach Colombian Luis Fernando Suárez will look to put to rest. Suárez has a number of foreign based players. Most notable are Maynor Figueroa, Jeremy Bengston, Andy Jara, Roger Espinoza, Marvin Chávez and Wilson Palacios. Whether Suárez can manufacture decent results with this group is another thing. I think Honduras is capitalizing on the vacant spots behind USA and Mexico that other nations in the region can not fill. It is such a huge drop off from those two nations and the rest of CONCACAF it’s really jaw dropping. Even more worrying is the distance between teams like Honduras, Panama and Jamaica and the rest of the federation. All in all Honduras is a team that qualified from a slightly below average region that are fortunate to be there.

Key Man- Roger Espinoza is a my go to guy for Honduras. He is a clever player and although he plays for Wigan he has achieved some success. He never seems pressured on the ball. Honduras will need his cool if they are to pick up a few points in this group.

Switzerland









One of my favorite international sides, Switzerland has to be one of the most exciting teams in Brazil that no is talking about. The Swiss have not altogether moved away from their traditional style of defend first ask questions later but now they have some bite in attack and dare I say flair. Coached by the calculated Ottmar Hitzfeld, the Swiss will look to go deep into tournament and cause some headaches for the opposition. Hitzfeld has guided the Alpine nation to their ninth World Cup. The Swiss got here by dominating UEFA’s Group E. A group that contained Iceland, Norway, Cyprus, Slovenia and Albania. A few names I want to mention in the Swiss squad are as followed. Captain Gökhan Inler, veterans Philippe Senderos, Tranquillo Barnetta,  Valon Behrami, Steve von Bergen, Stephan Licthsteiner and Reto Ziegler make up the core of the Swiss squad. The excellent Diego Benaglio is back in goal for the “Schweizer Nati.” While youngsters Xherdan Shaqiri, Granit Xhaka and Ricardo Rodriguez have come to play. The Swiss have a good coach. Experienced players and promising youngsters. That sounds like a good mix. I don’t think the Swiss have anything to fear from Ecuador or Honduras. France maybe a problem but I do fancy the Swiss to give them a good fight. It would be a great surprise if the Swiss won the World Cup but it wouldn’t be crazy.

Key Man- Xherdan Shaqiri is amazing. The kid is legit. I look forward to seeing him this summer.

Predictions- I will go France, Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras in that order. I’m sticking with my friend. I do believe the French are due a good run. Switzerland are a close second I like the blend they have going. Although this World Cup is in South America I just am not buying what Ecuador are selling. Too one dimensional for my taste. Honduras are awful!

Switzerland


No comments: