Thursday, April 30, 2015

Snake Eye

I have been writing on this little blog for a while now and it just dawned on me that for the five or six years I’ve been your scribe. Seems like the other day I started this thing. In that time many topics were mulled over. Nations, goalkeepers, clubs, tournaments, video previews and even the odd jersey.  I've ran the gamut but as I look back and I'm almost horrified that I didn’t give the full attention to a part of the game that means so much. The shame on my part has sullen me as if I loss a a true love or if I ran out of my revered Frosted Flakes and I do like me some Tony. Dramatics aside and I frankly can’t delay the topic any further because I may not have the writing skills to do so and I have to admit I am a bit rusty so pardon me. In all my time writing on this website, I don’t think I have ever done a solo, detailed piece on a defender. It never tugged at me to do it. Goalkeepers I see as heroes so I had no problem flashing a light on them plus I was a goalie back in the day. Forwards are the glamour boys of the game. The ones the fans come to see. So yet again that was a no brainer. In midfield there is so many ways to play the game as a result I had a wide cast to choose from. Defending is not sexy. Not in any sport. So forgive me for not hoisting the men of the back line in the limelight. I have tons of admiration for what defenders in this sport and what they have to put up with and I think it is high time we start to pay homage to the position.

Name: Layvin Kurzawa

D/O/B: 09/04/1992

Place of Birth: Fréjus, France

Position: Left Back

Height: 5’11ft

National Team: France

National Team Debut: France vs Albania (Nov.14 2014)

Club Team(s): Étoile Fréjus Saint Raphaël 1996-2005, Association Sportive Aixoise 2005-2007, AS Monaco 2007-present*


Layvin Kurzawa is not only the latest addition to the excellent French fullback brigade, he also has a name that I can not pronounce for the life me, so my chances of replacing the likes of Ian Darke on commentary look bleak. Kurzawa’s football career however looks far from dreary. Edgy, speedy, good ball control, a cerebral attacker from fullback and a young man with attitude. All tangibles that his country has benefited from at youth level and will certainly reap when and not if becomes a mainstay in the senior setup. These are bold claims I am making and I say simply that the crux of my argument for Layvin Kurzawa can be seen in his most recent performances in the 2014-15 campaign and prior to that in his youth career.
 Kurzawa was born in  the coastal city Fréjus in the southeast of France and naturally got his first involvement with football within the city’s borders. Etoile Fréjus Saint Raphaël is first port of call. The Frenchman spent his junior years there from 1996 to 2005 before switching to the Association Sportive Aixoise. While there he spent a further two years honing his skills before he made the biggest move of his career to date to the principality joining AS Monaco. Kurzawa landed in Monaco in 2007 and has already been through it all the French club. Successful debuts in Ligue 1 and Coupe de la Ligue. Challenging the elite of France for the Ligue 1 title, going head to head with the likes of Paris Saint Germain, Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique Marseille week in and week out. Let’s not also forget him flying up the flank in the UEFA Champions League every other Tuesday at 3pm on your television. Check your local listings. As glorious as that sound Kurzawa did suffer relegation with the ritzy Fontvieille side back in the 2010-11 season so it’s not all been rosy.  
 The fact of the matter is there isn’t much to write on a Layvin Kurzawa when it comes to the international scene. All I can basically say for now is he has represented France at various youth levels and as recent as 2014 he has become the full French international. France in recent times has had an amazing left fullback situation. Patrice Evra, Benoit Tremoulinas and Lucas Digne all threats to Kurzawa’s left back birth in the French national setup. Especially Digne, who is around the same age as our protagonist and is just as explosive and looks like he is more solid defensively. In the years to come I wanted to bet that these two will be dueling each other for French left back spot for a long time.  
 I think I’ve praised Kurzawa enough it's time to look at the situation that faces him. Colombians James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao, players who he has played with while they were at Monaco both left the club, well in the latter’s case not completely but he did leave. These are world class players and there is still some good players left at the club but fact remains at least for now footballers of James ilk do not want to commit to place where the stadium is half empty. Which the Stade Louis II often is. They don’t want to play in a second tier European league, which Ligue 1 has become and mostly they want to play on a more grandiose stage. As beautiful as Monaco is she cannot offer fame these players seek. So my questions is how long will Layvin Kurzawa be content with his lot at Fontvieille? How long will it be before the clubs of Italy, Spain, Germany and the cash laden England come calling? It’s funny how Monaco are so heavily bankrolled by millions if not billions but yet there money can’t push them to the immediate success they crave. Kurzawa will go. Just a matter of time.

No comments: